Sunday, May 15, 2011

NICU Reunion

Yesterday, we had the privilege of attending Avery's first NICU reunion. Taking the short drive to the hospital, I remembered all of the days I took that route to visit Avery. 58 of them to be exact. I remembered the happy, uplifting days. And, of course, there were some very sad, disappointing days. Days where I cried all the way to the hospital and all the way back. I also thought about those moms that didn't get the invite. The moms whose baby's entered the NICU but never got to go home. There is no explanation for that. There are just some things in this life that aren't explainable. That is one of them.
As Avery played and ran and jumped and laughed and pretended I thought about how easily she could've been taken from us. How the doctors would've been able to explain the science of what happened but no one would've ever been able to explain it to my heart. There is no explanation for why Avery is here today, except His love. Oh, how He loves us!!! That is my new favorite song because I can't get through it without thinking of the heart ache and miracles I have already experienced in this short life. I am so unworthy, but y'all, HOW HE LOVES! You should really add this song to your iPod today!

"When all of a sudden,
I am unaware of these afflictions eclipsed by glory,
And I realize just how beautiful You are,
And how great Your affections are for me."


Playing with the bubble machine...


She loved meeting the 'real' princesses


Horseshoes with daddy. She would hurl them across the room and then look at me to teach me, "Like that, Mama!"


Bean bag toss. "Your turn, Mama!"


The first time she's been brave enough to crawl through a 'jumpy thing'. Can I tell you she loved it!




"Just one more time, Mama!"


Playing dress up...


"You be the prince mama." And of course, we danced!



How He Loves 
David Crowder Band...

5 comments:

DC said...

It looks like you all had a wonderful time at the party! I wish we could have made it back home for the festivities!

When I was typing a blog today about Addy's six measly days in the NICU (gave a shout out to Avery too), I thought about all the babies that never left the hospital... I also thought about how you were such a soldier during Avery's NICU stay. You had so much on your plate during those months, yet you were still an inspiration to others & a pleasure to be around. You are ONE AWESOME MAMA!

Penny said...

She is a miracle! I imagine the NICU staff gets as much, or more, out of these reunions as the parents do. Just a beautiful reward for their dedication and a reminder of why they do what they do. :)

Cristi said...

Love this update. Yes it made me cry. Did you see anyone you recognized? I agree with Dewanna, you are an AWESOME MAMA! And I am a very thankful mama!

Lana said...

I can see you all had a wonderful time! We have friends who spent a lot of time in NICU as well when their first son was born. Having a newborn at home again, I can't imagine having to leave the hospital without her. However, you are so right... many people never get to take their little one home. How blessed we are!!!! Lana :)

Baylee's Mommy said...

One of my favorite songs!!