Sunday, October 23, 2011

Hellllloooooooooo NEW YORK!

New York - Day 1

I woke up this morning at 5:30. Wide awake. I wanted to turn my brain off and go back to sleep but I just couldn't. After all, this is the day one of my dreams was coming true. I was going to mark something off the "Bucket List" today! We headed to the Monroe Airport and I must say the brand-new terminal was fabulous! We were there pretty early and luckily Charlie knew the guy that checked us in! Our connection flight was going to be different but he pulled some strings and got me in on Charlie's earlier flight. I was pretty happy about that. We flew on a tiny little plane and takeoff was scary, but we met a really nice lady that flies on that plane every 2 weeks so she assured us we would live - lol. She also told us to follow her in Dallas and showed us where to go - what a blessing! That place is SO HUGE I was amazed. Worlds different than ole MLU!

In Dallas, we boarded a jet and the takeoff was much smoother but the landing was very rough. Laguardia seemed much smaller than Dallas and we found our luggage very quickly (but not before Charlie got to use the word 'dadgum'....oh dear!). Within a few minutes in NYC, I heard about 5 different accents and saw men wearing yarmulke's and hijab's (yes i had to google those - ha!). Our cabbie was quite the talker. Bless his heart, he wrote a list of things I should see - Statue of Liberty, the MET, Times Square. He didn't realize I have a full 6 day agenda! HA! He did tell me to steer clear of Coney Island and I was thankful for that advice!

Okay that is enough jabbering for now! I just took a very long, very hot shower and now I'm going to fall asleep in my very big, comfy bed. Just outside the open window are the quiet sounds of the city street and a beautiful New York skyline. I can't believe I'm going to wake up in NEW YORK CITY tomorrow! Good night, y'all!




Our hotel - Marriott at the Brooklyn Bridge

2 comments:

Cristi said...

I am so glad yall made it safe! Sounds like you will have a wonderful time. I certainly hope so! Why stay clear of Coney Island???? HAVE FUN!

Beth said...

Yes, I have heard that coney island is kind of run down and sketchy. So glad you are doing a blog of your trip! I am ready to go back!