Monday, April 16, 2012

2008 Memories

Did I really forget to post this for New Year's 2009? Wow!

Whew...2008 is gone...what a year, huh!?! 2008 was the most challenging year of my life; however, far outweighing the challenge was the reward! Nothing can prepare you for being a parent until it happens. No one can explain the feeling you'll get watching your baby grow and change every day. I thought about what kind've blog to write to say goodbye to 2008. I plan on turning this blog into a book once a year around Avery's birthday so she'll be able to have these memories always. I figured the best way to remember 2008 would be to list my memories. This will definitely be longer than anyone wants to read, but its mainly for my sake - so I never forget and for Avery's - so she can read them when she's older...so, here goes!








  • January 18th - My mom arrives to help us paint the nursery. We finished the majority of it by Saturday night, and went to Target to pick up some last minute touches. (Curtains, new bedspread for the guest bed) The nursery was exactly what I always dreamed it would be, I was SO pleased!

  • January 20th - My dad arrives (he had stayed behind because he was sick, he almost didn't come but God worked it out so that he would be there for Avery's birth!)
  • January 21st - Mom goes with me to diabetic counseling for gestational diabetes. We listened for hours as they explained what I could and could not eat. I guess my fear at that point was having a 12 lb baby...Oh the things that can change in a matter of hours! It was off to Applebees where Charlie and dad met us for lunch. It took a while to find something I was allowed to eat and by the time the food came I realized we were running late. Mom and I left and made it to the sonogram with 3 minutes to spare. Charlie and dad came shortly and we sat in the waiting room talking about what the 'plan' was going to be if it was a boy (now that our perfectly painted room was pink!) Of course, the rest is 'history' and long story short, Avery was born via emergency c-section less than 2 hours after we arrived for the sonogram. Weighing in at 2 lbs, 2 oz and 14 1/2 inches long she was officially a micropreemie. And officially the most beautiful, special, sweet little miracle I will ever know!
  • January 25th - Charlie got to hold Avery for the first time while the nurse changed her bed. Lucky him!
  • January 26th - I got to hold Avery while the nurse cleaned her bed. I only got to reach in and hold her little body up inside the incubator but it was one of the best feelings in the whole world!
  • January 27th - Avery's weight hit an all time low at 1 lb, 9 oz. Talk about scary!
  • January 28th - Avery was one week old. I got to hold her in my arms for the first time! I also got to do Kangaroo Care for 2 hours - amazing!
  • January 29th - Avery ate her first meal - 1/10th of an ounce of breastmilk!
  • February 7th - The neonatologist decided to stop Avery's feedings because her stomach was too swollen. For parents who rejoice over every ounce gained it is a sad day when you know your baby isn't eating at all. :(
  • February 10th - Poppa got to hold Avery for the first time.
  • February 13th - The bleed in Avery's brain 'disappeared' Isn't God Good?
  • February 16th - Avery took an entire feeding from a bottle for the first time. A little less than one ounce.
  • February 17th - Nonna got to hold Avery.
  • February 19th - At 2 lbs 12 oz, Avery hadn't gained an ounce in 6 days and the doctor started her on formula for some of her feedings.
  • February 20th - After praying a lot the day before Avery finally gained an ounce - one of our 'tiny miracles' that we experienced.
  • February 24th - At one month old I finally got to feed Avery a bottle and get a little burp out of her too. Precious moments.
  • February 25th - Avery hit the 3 pound mark. AWESOME!
  • March 15th - Avery hit the 4 pound mark
  • March 18th - After 58 days, Avery was released from the NICU and got to sleep in her own home!

1 comment:

Cristi said...

Glad you posted this. Wow the memories.