Saturday, July 4, 2009

Where does the time go?

Lately, it seems like every blog I read talks about having a hard time with their babies growing up. And I can totally relate. It's so exciting to watch Avery learn new tricks, say new words and become more independent. At the same time, it's so hard not to want to 'freeze time'. It feels like my time at work (which is not where I am at the moment - I would never blog at work!) goes so slowly but when I'm with Avery, time flies by. And before you know it, another year is gone.

I have been really thinking lately about whether Avery will ever have a sibling. It seems like most of my friends either have baby fever or are pregnant or are trying to get pregnant and I am 'none of the above'. I certainly wouldn't consider trying to have a baby right now, even if I felt I could do so without complications. We need to sell our house and buy a bigger one, before we expand our little family. BUT one day I know I will be ready to have another one and make Avery a big sister. How we'll accomplish that is anyone's guess. Getting pregnant seems almost irresponsible, with the likely possibility that I could lose the baby or bring them into this world much too small. There are certainly things I can do reduce the risk, but it will still be there. Sonograms have never been much fun for me (if you know my history you know why!) and would be pure torture with the 3rd pregnancy. And those 9 months would be filled with many days of worry. I would love to adopt, but I know that is a risky, timely, costly process and Charlie isn't completely on board with that either. So, I guess I'm just really sad about my one (and possible only) baby growing up! I know, whatever the situation, this is something every mother deals with. And we just take one day at a time. And before you know it, your baby is graduating from high school!

Wow, what a depressing post for such a wonderful holiday! Hope you have a Happy 4th filled with BBQ, swimming and fireworks! How blessed we our to live in the most wonderful country in the whole wide world! More pics to come from July 4th 2009...


One year ago today.... she still fit in a Bumbo...

July 4, 2008

...and would pose whatever way I requested :)


...and we still used my beloved Moses Basket...

...and the swing was still in the sun room (rather than the garage!)
Where, oh where, does the time go???

5 comments:

Sheila said...

Hoppin in to say hi. Have a wonderful 4th of July!

Unknown said...

Out Blog Hoppin today! Nice to meet you!
I'm a homeschool / SAHM to 3 -- Living in Louisiana -- Hope you come by to visit.

They grow way to fast.

Have a Happy Fourth!

Penny said...

Yes, and all too soon she'll be 25 with "baby fever" or 21 and loving on her own baby, or 17 and a senior in high school. But it has it's advantages... they grow up, become your friends, gain independence, and then give you new babies to love--- that you are not 100% responsible for! LOL
You really do have a lot to look forward to. Don't worry too much about time marching on (it'll happen whether you fret or not)--- just enjoy EVERY day and one day all those "past memories" will be good ones and without regrets. =)

Beth E. said...

They do, indeed, grow up quickly! Hubby and I will be dealing with Empty Nest Syndrome this fall. :/

The Four Week Vegan said...

Being a mom to a 16, 13.5, and 12 year old, I know how you are feeling, but I want to tell you each and every stage is awesome!!! I love having teens - never thought I would say that. And helping them plan for when they leave the nest is an honor. The goal is healthy, independent children that can make good decisions and contribute to the world. Of course it is fun when they are cuddly little ones, but it is so cool to have a serious conversation about life, politics, or whatever with a teen. So enjoy each day!