Sunday, November 13, 2011

NYC - Day 1

The first day in NYC I woke up ready to go. The MET was the first stop on my agenda. I checked the website for what time they opened to find they were CLOSED on Monday’s. Oh dear. Plan B.  Hmmm...there really wasn’t a Plan B. How did Mrs. Planner go to NYC without a daily itinerary - something I still regret! What.was.I.thinking? 
So, I googled NYC attractions. And boy, did I get overwhelmed! I almost talked myself out of going out alone....but I knew I would forever regret spending a day in that hotel room when I was in the Big Apple! I headed down to the Concierge desk to ask where the subway was. She told me to take the R train to 49th Street. I told her I had noticed a subway station, but I wasn’t sure where to catch a train. She giggled and explained a train and a subway was all the same to a New Yorker. She sold me a bus tour which I thought could be a mistake but ended up being GREAT. I would highly recommend a hop on-hop off bus tour if you visit NYC for the first time. The one I took was only $35. It was great to get an idea of where things were and get to take LOTS of pictures from a double decker bus. It was also great to have free transportation throughout the city for 2 days!
I hopped off and on a few times - lunch in LIttle Italy one day, 9/11 Memorial and St. Paul’s Church, Wall Street, Rockefeller Center, the Stanton Ferry (I could see the Statue of LIberty from there). We drove by the Empire State Building, Greenwich Village, Soho, Chinatown, Chelsea, Hell’s Kitchen, Central Park and Times Square. I also met some nice tourists from all over the world. It’s amazing that I heard as much English as I heard of other languages while I was there. A few times, people were in conversations all around me but no one was speaking English! 
Sorry for the overwhelming amount of pictures. It was my first day in NYC and I was snapping away at everything!




Cookie Monster!


Times Square






FOX NEWS :)








30 Rock...









Central Park...




A Trump building...








Lots of police...everywhere...I always felt safe!

The New Years ball...






I had a chocolate covered strawberry at the Godiva on 5th Avenue...only $5, just like in Baton Rouge!


Soho...


Chinatown...



No comments: