Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Merry Christmas 2012

As you may be able to tell, I typically write 20-30 posts on one day and schedule them throughout the month. So this will post on Christmas morning but I'm writing this the weekend of the CT school shooting. I feel guilty about Christmas this year. It feels unfair to celebrate it and to laugh and relax and enjoy your family. I can't stop thinking about the presents under the tree for those children that will never get to open them. I heard people were taking down Christmas decorations in Newtown. I thought about being really somber this Christmas. I felt like maybe celebrating too much, being too happy would be disrespectful to those families.

And then it hit me. We're not celebrating our lives. Or even our children's lives. We're not celebrating new electronics and fried turkeys. That is not what this is about. This is about the birth of a Savior. A Savior wrapped in skin. Who didn't have to come. Who didn't have to die. Our hope. Our only hope. This is about celebrating the only reason those children live in heaven now. Celebrating that no matter what anyone does on this Earth to harm someone, we get to spend eternity with Jesus. Those parents can spend eternity with their sweet children. This is about HOPE! So today, I will laugh. And watch happily with excitement as we rip into our gifts and stuff ourselves silly with turkey. Evil cannot dampen this day. Today is a day of hope. Our only hope is Jesus Christ.













2 comments:

Penny said...

Great post! I agree. Satan will try to steal the joy out of Christmas every time. I know those poor families are suffering and it's heartbreaking. But not celebrating Jesus' birth is not going to make their burden lighter.

Cristi said...

Well said sweetheart!